Christine is the Business Development Manager for Restoration 1.
Mold Myths Debunked: Everything You Need to Know About Mold in Your Home
Microbial growth (or mold) is one of the most common problems homeowners face. Unfortunately, myths about microbial growth are widespread as well. This misinformation prompts homeowners to unknowingly take counterproductive measures or enlist exaggerated repairs to address the problem. These often result in costly property damages and health problems for household members.
In this light, separating myth from fact is crucial. Learning everything you need to know about mold will help you understand the problem better, along with the impact it can have on your home and health if left untreated.
To help protect your property and keep your family healthy, let’s take a look at the myths surrounding mold and the truth behind it.
6 Mold Myths Debunked
MYTH #1: “You Can Completely Eliminate Mold in Your Home.”
Having absolutely no mold in your home at all may seem enticing, but it’s actually impossible.
THE FACT: Mold spores are present everywhere. We’re all exposed to them wherever we go. They occur naturally in most environments, so it’s impossible to eliminate them inside your home.
The good news is that they occur in small numbers most of the time, so they don’t bring about any health risks or significant issues. However, you have to make sure your home isn’t conducive to microbial growth.
When the temperature is moderate, the environment is humid, and a food source like building materials is present, these factors can cause microbial growth to quickly propagate on any surface. However, the high concentration and uncontrolled growth of mold can begin to pose health risks to you and affect your home.
MYTH #2: “Mold is Visible, and You Can Always Tell When It’s Present In Your Home.”
Yes, it is true that microbial growth often shows up as visible fuzzy fibers or black, white, green, brown, or orange specks. However, not seeing these stains does not necessarily mean they’re not there. You simply cannot always tell when mold is present.
If you suspect microbial growth in your home but don’t see any visible signs, watch out for the following:
- A damp, musty odor coming from your floors or walls
- A nasty smell coming from your ventilation system
- Bubbling, cracking, and other unusual surface abnormalities
To be absolutely sure, it’s best to call mold remediation professionals as they will know where and how to check for the presence of microbial growth.
MYTH #3: “Bleach Can Effectively Kill Mold.”
Many homeowners use bleach to eliminate mold or spores, but doing so can be counterproductive.
Bleach can indeed remove visible signs of mold on hard surfaces. But the truth is that it only discolors it. The mold can eventually return, especially in environments with high humidity, such as showers and basements. And if the source of moisture is not addressed, bleach can even expedite the mold regrowth rate.
It’s also worth noting that exposing yourself to bleach can pose health risks. If you plan on cleaning up microbial growth yourself, it’s best to scrub with soap and water. This is a safer and more effective alternative to using bleach. Moreover, be sure to use exhaust fans in bathrooms to address the moisture problem and help prevent mold regrowth.
MYTH #4: “You Can Clean Up Mold Yourself.”
Many people believe that all you need to do is scrub the infected surfaces using a detergent to treat mold. However, this is far from the truth.
While your attempt to address mold on your own may seem harmless, remember that using the inappropriate cleaning products may even spur its growth rate rather than eliminating it. Whatever the level of mold infestation you’re dealing with, it’s always best to call certified mold remediation specialists.
These professionals are trained to use specialized equipment and containment methods to address mold issues adequately. They also follow proven safety measures to restore your home without letting airborne contaminants spread to unaffected areas.
MYTH #5: “Black Mold Is The Only Type of Mold That Is Dangerous To Your Health.”
Although most commonly discussed, black mold is not the only type of mold that can pose a risk to your health and property.
If you’re researching “everything you need to know about mold,” in hopes to create a safer indoor environment then make sure to heed this important fact: mold color isn’t related to toxicity.
Common molds like Cladosporium appear in black specks, but they have not been proven toxic to humans or other living organisms. There’s also no proof that black-colored molds, in general, are more harmful than any other colors of mold.
To stay safe, it’s best to address any microbial growth in your home regardless of its color.
MYTH #6: “A Small Spot of Mold Isn’t a Cause for Concern.”
Ignoring even the most inconspicuous spots can spell disaster for your property.
A standard amount of microbial growth is expected in most homes, and it won’t harm you, your loved ones, or your property. However, this doesn’t mean that you should ignore it. As long as spores land on a damp spot inside your home, they can spread quickly and become a colony in just a few days.
The moment you discover hardly noticeable mold, it’s best to start inspecting the surrounding areas for nearby sources of moisture. You can also call a mold remediation expert to thoroughly inspect your property and check for any alarming microbial growth.
Dealing with mold infestations in your home can be a stressful occurrence. However, diligently learning everything you need to know about mold — including the truths behind these mold myths debunked — can help you see the problem exactly as it is. With the help of a local mold remediation company you can trust, you can continue to keep your home a safe and comfortable haven for you and your loved ones.
See all of our blogs HERE