The Board of Directors is a policy-making body of the organization. Its members represent a broad cross-section of the business and professional leadership of the community.
If you are interested in become a board member, please fill out the form below and we will share this information with our nominating committee in September.
Responsibilities of a Board Member
- Fiduciary responsibility for the McHenry Area Chamber.
- Assist to recruit new or reactivated members for the organization when can.
- Responsibility to assist the Chamber with communications about its programs through your own personal contacts with other community businesses.
- Enter into full discussion and participation in policy decisions affecting the Chamber, community and area.
- Make self available for greater responsibilities in the program and structure of the McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Attendance and/or assistance at Chamber events when possible.
- Involvement in either a committee or a Marketing Connection Group is encouraged.
Requirements of a Board Member
- Attendance at the Annual Director’s Planning Retreat (in October). This one-day retreat is normally held at a local facility and is intended to develop goals and “Program of Work” for the upcoming year.
- Attendance at the Annual Gala which is the Chamber’s Corporate Meeting.
- Maintain the confidence of all Board meetings and chamber financial situation.
- Attendance at each regular or called Board Meeting. Regular full board meetings are the 4th Thursday of each month (except for December and July) at 7:30am-approximately 8:30am. (Missing three Board meetings during a calendar year may result in removal from the Board as determined by the Board of Directors.)
- Attend a “Chamber Playbook” session or similar overview to understand member benefits.
Per our bylaws:
At the regular August Board meeting, the Executive committee shall appoint, subject to approval by the Board of Directors, a Nominating Committee. The Executive committee shall designate the head of the committee.
At the September Board meeting, the Nominating Committee shall present the slate of candidates to serve three (3) year terms, to replace the Directors whose regular terms are expiring. Each candidate must be an active member in good standing and must have agreed to accept the responsibility of a Directorship. No Board member who has served two (2) consecutive three-year terms is eligible for election for a third term. A period of one (1) year must elapse before eligibility is restored. However, this requirement may be waived by a 2/3 vote from the Board. Also, if a Board member is elected as Chairperson in the last year of his/her term, they remain eligible.
At the September board meeting, the board votes on the presented slate. A majority vote of the members present at the meeting will ratify the nominations.