HOW LONG DO AC UNITS LAST?
Having a reliable and energy-efficient air conditioning system is crucial for maintaining comfort in your home. However, AC units aren’t meant to last forever.
Understanding the average life span of an AC unit, signs indicating the need for replacement, and when to repair versus replace can help you make informed decisions about your cooling system.
THE AVERAGE LIFE SPAN OF AN AC
AC units have an average life span of 10 to 15 years, although this can vary depending on factors such as frequency of use, maintenance, and overall quality. Regular maintenance and proper care can help extend the life of your AC system while neglecting maintenance can lead to premature failure.
SIGNS IT’S TIME TO REPLACE YOUR AC
Recognizing the signs that indicate the need for AC replacement is essential to avoid breakdowns and inefficiency. Here are some key indicators that it’s time to replace your AC:
- Age: If your AC is over 10 to 15 years old, it’s approaching the end of its life span and may be less efficient.
- Frequent, costly breakdowns: If your system needs frequent and expensive repairs, replacing it may be more cost-effective.
- Loss of efficiency: If your AC struggles to cool your home effectively or your energy bills have increased significantly, it may be time for an upgrade.
- Uneven cooling: If certain areas of your home are consistently warmer or cooler than others, it could indicate a problem with your system.
- New home addition: If you’ve expanded your living space, your existing AC may not be able to adequately cool the additional area.
WHEN TO REPAIR YOUR AC VS. REPLACE IT
When faced with AC issues, it’s essential to evaluate whether repair or replacement is the best solution. If the cost of repairs exceeds the price of a new AC, replacement may be more cost-effective. If your AC is relatively new and has been well-maintained, repairing it may be best.
COMMON AC REPAIRS
Understanding common AC problems can help you identify issues and call for timely repairs to avoid costly breakdowns and the need for a replacement. Here are some common AC repairs:
- Refrigerant leaks: If your AC is blowing warm air or freezing up, it can be due to a refrigerant leak.
- Clogged drain line: A clogged drain can result in water leaks and potential water damage.
- Inadequate maintenance: Lack of regular maintenance can lead to dirty filters, clogged coils, and reduced efficiency.
- AC blowing warm air: Various factors, such as a faulty compressor or refrigerant issues, can cause warm air to blow from your AC vents.
THE IMPORTANCE OF MAINTENANCE
Regular maintenance plays a crucial role in preserving the longevity of your AC system, preventing breakdowns, and maximizing efficiency. Professional maintenance includes cleaning or replacing filters, inspecting and cleaning coils, checking refrigerant levels, and ensuring proper airflow.
Scheduling routine maintenance can help identify potential issues before they get worse and keep your AC running smoothly.
Consider joining a maintenance plan to stay on schedule and enjoy benefits such as repair discounts and priority scheduling.
SCHEDULE AC REPAIRS OR INSTALLATION WITH DUANE BLANTON PLUMBING, SEWER, HEATING & COOLING
When it comes to AC repairs and installations, Duane Blanton Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Cooling is Round Lake’s top choice. With over three decades of experience serving customers, we offer reliable AC solutions.
You can count on us for:
- Same-day service
- 24/7 live phone support
- Service for all brands
- Upfront pricing
- Specials & promotions