Early Summer Party Tips
Are you ready for the unofficial start of summer? For most that means grilling, warm weather, and outdoor fun! It can be challenging to stay on plan at gatherings, but the good news is that plenty of fresh and healthy choices are in season.
You just need a gameplan to stay on program while enjoying yourself at the same time.
Consider these tips for any celebration:
- Stick with lean proteins. Stick to lean cuts of protein like sirloin tips, flank steak, skinless chicken breast, and fish. Lean cuts are high in protein but lower in fat and calories. Make sure that whatever protein you choose is not battered and fried.
- Vegetables first. When filling up your plate, think of vegetables! Skip the dip and fill up on non-starchy vegetables like salad, asparagus, broccoli, celery, and cucumbers. Non-starchy vegetables are low in calories, a great source of fiber, and should be most of your plate, whether cooked or raw.
- Be the head chef! Check out the delicious recipe below. What’s better than a healthy and delicious recipe to kick off the start of summer?
- Focus on fun activities. Instead of making food the focus of the event, have fun enjoying time together with a new activity, like a game of backyard kickball or badminton!
Independent OPTAVIA Coach
- Pre-heat oven to 400⁰F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Divide beef into 4, (4-ounce) portions and shape each portion into ¼-inch thick patties. Season with a ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper. Place patties on the sheet pan and set aside.
- Spread mushrooms in a separate section from patties. Spray top of mushrooms with non-stick spray and season with ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven.
- After 5 minutes of cooking, remove mushrooms and set aside. Continue to cook patties for about 3 minutes, and then turn the oven up to broil.
- Portion 1 ounce of cheese over each patty and return it to the oven to melt.
- To make pickles, bring vinegar, water, and ¼ teaspoon of salt to a boil on the stovetop or in the microwave. Pour mixture over cucumbers and set aside.
- For one serving, spread 1 teaspoon of mustard on 1 leaf of lettuce and top with 1 burger patty, ¼ of the mushrooms, 1 slice of tomato, 4 slices of pickles, and another leaf of lettuce.